Monday, March 22, 2010

PAPA'S PORRIDGE

How do you have your porridge?



When I was a little girl my Mum or Dad would make porridge for breakfast and we would eat it with a lump of butter in the middle so it would melt, sprinkled with sugar and milk on top. It was so delicious and I thought that was the way everyone ate it. I still prefer to eat it this way.






I used to watch the add on tv for John Bull's porridge and the little boy saying 'thats not how you make porridge.' in his scottish accent.






As my husband Bruce is a shift worker he quite often doesn't eat until lunch time, then has a huge bowl of porridge. He makes it in a lot of different ways depending on how he feels. Sometimes he adds grated apple or stewed apples,  other times bananas and sultanas. Then when it comes time to eating it he either adds yoghurt, honey or maple syrup and eats it without milk.






We had our eldest granddaughter Amelia living with us when she was first born. When she went onto solids it was a treat for her to sit up with Papa and enjoy a bowl of his porridge. Everyday she would look forward to Papa's porridge. A few weeks ago she was at school when her family came for lunch and her brother Joshua had a bowl of Papa's porridge. She was so upset when she knew she had missed out. All the grandkids seem to enjoy eating Papa's porridge as if its a secret ingredient. I remember making it for Amelia one day but it wasn't as good as her Papa's of course.






So how do other families cook and eat their porridge?





3 comments:

  1. mmmmm his nice porridge. it is soooooooo nice

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the melted butter with brown sugar porridge, so bad though!
    I don't think I've had any Papa porridge

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh jen jen you will have to try some. all the kids loooovvvveeee it so it must be special.

    ReplyDelete