Monday, March 22, 2010

RYE PICNIC

 Whilst Bruce was off work for the week we decided to go for a drive towards Red Hill for a picnic. Obviously we took the wrong road and found ourselves at Flinders Beach firstly.  It was a really busy day there and we couldn't get a table, so continued on our way.

We just headed off without a definite destination.  An hour later we came to Rye beach where we found a nice table overlooking the beach near the boat launching ramp. Bruce unpacked and set up all our picnic gear. Whilst we waited for the kettle to boil I had to pay a visit so went for what I thought was a short walk to a prettily painted toilet block.  As I approached I could see the door were padlocked, then saw a sign saying another ammenties block is 200 metres either way.  I thought I have come this far so might as well keep going further away. Boy did I pay for this with my stupid hips.

Anyway I arrived back at the table after my long hike and the kettle still wasn't boiled.  So I started making our sandwiches.  finally we had a cup of tea to go with our lunch.  NOTHING LIKE A NICE HOT CUP OF TEA!  We watched several boats being launch and some people daring to wade into the water. It was obviously cold as they yelled out in agony. There was a lone pelican wandering up the beach but surprisingly neither of us had our cameras which was disappointing.

After lunch we packed up our picnic, put it back in the car and got our cameras.  Bruce suggested we walk down the pier which I hate at the best of times.  Every step the pier creeked , so I held on tightly to Bruce and said if it collapses he will have to rescue me as I don't swim. He kept reassuring me it will be fine. We finally arrived at the end where there was a family fishing.  One of the men caught a small gummy shark but threw it back in.  Didn't kiss it though lol! I sat down on a seat for a little while to give my hips a rest whilst Bruce had a good look around.

Then we headed back down the creeky pier, I was so glad to arrive safely back on the beach. Phew! As we approached our car I noticed a sign saying the carpark is a paid carpark area. OOps! Luckily we didn't get a fine.

We drove home along the beach road which was very pretty and decided after seeing the family fishing we would buy fish to bbq for dinner. It was delicious.

Bruce wore a bucket hat whilst we were at Rye but we both forgot to slip slop slap.  Both of us suffered with really bad sunburn.  Ouch!

No comments:

Post a Comment