Thursday, April 1, 2010

WHATS HAPPENING WITH THE MEDICAL PROFESSION

Over the past year I have attended three different GP's so I will refer to them as Dr A...B...C.

For over ten years I have attended a lovely doctor who I referred to as my family doctor and I had confidence in him. Until two years ago when I signed up for a gym membership and they found my blood pressure was high.

So I consulted Dr A who said its nothing to worry about.  So I continued my usual monthly visits to have my prescriptions filled and not once did he recheck my bp.  Then the middle of last year my work mate referred me to his sister for a massage, who then referred me onto a chiropractor for treatment for my ankylosing spondylitis.  After a few months when my pain wasn't being reduced my chiropractor referred me to Dr B as he was supposed to now about AS.

Dr B was lovely, performed several tests and discovered my bp was sky high 200/113 due to my anti inflammatories prescribed by Dr A.  He changed these immediately and put me on bp meds. As my AS wasn't improving he referred me back to my rheumatologist.  The reason I changed from Dr B who I really liked was he charged a lot higher for a consult than other doctors.

Then Cindy told me about Dr C so I consulted him about my AS. and seeing a different rheumatologist also who doesn't charge so much.

Anyway whilst attending Dr C the other day sitting in his waiting room (MISTAKE 1)  another patient was called in by a doctor.  She turned to her partner saying thats not the doctor I am seeing.  After a discusion she sat back down and was eventually taken into the treatment room.   (MISTAKE 2) Then my doctor came out and called my name.  I followed him down to his room, told him my problem and was given a referral for a medical procedure. Then when I was standing at the reception desk waiting to sign my medicare slip I noticed the name was wrong on the referal.  So I told the receptionist who immediately took it into Dr C., apparently it took a lot of convincing that he had seen me and not this other patient.

My daughter had a procedure last year in a private hospital after being told she could just pay the difference rather than go on a LONG waiting list in a public hospital. Dr C referred me to a neurosurgeon recently. The receptionist didn't even give me a chance to ask about paying the gap. Her first question was do you have private health insurance, when I said no she said the doctor won't see you then and hung up.

One of Bruce's work mates had a heart problem which requires expensive medication.  Bruce asked what if you can't afford it, his reply was I suppose you die.  My medication cost is $70 a month if it was any higher we couldn't afford it.

I thought MEDICARE came into help the people who couldn't afford expensive treatements. Whats happened then when we are being turned away????

1 comment:

  1. It's bad to what we're used to....but we are still luckier then Americans, who can't even be seen in the emergency room of a hospital without insurance

    ReplyDelete